Did something a little risky this Palm Sunday by doing a brief biography of church planter extraordinar Maewyn Succat (AKA St. Patrick). Big Green was a pretty exceptional guy. Here are a few highlights from His life.
- Kidnapped at the age of 16 and taken to Ireland as a slave.
- Enslaved for 6 years Maewyn learns, Irish, and develops a an outstanding prayer life.
- At 22 he has a dream where God tells him to escape and walk to the coast where he will find a boat that will take him back home… He goes and sure enough.. a few days later he is home.
- Goes to school in France, becomes a priest, then a bishop and has a second dream.
- In dream #2 an Irishman asks Maewyn to come back to Ireland (the place where he escaped captivity just a few years earlier). And of course… he does. Within 15 years Pagan Ireland officially becomes a Christian nation.
It seems strange that a holiday that celebrate a guy who loved Jesus so much has become so irreligious. Anyway, I will never view March 17th quite the same again.