You know those websites like about.com that tell you how everything works so you don’t look like a doof in an otherwise intelligent conversation. Well, I spend a of time on those sites. Anyway, I noticed that ehow.com had an article to answer the question, “How Does a Southern Baptist Pastor Spend a Workday? My interest was instantly peaked because I have gotten dozens of variations of this very question asked to me over the course of ministry. Inevitably, when someone asks me this question I look like a cow staring at a new gate. I try to answer… we’ll I pray, I read my bible, I read other books, I call people on the phone, I check my email, I meet people for coffee, sometimes I hang out with people when they are having a really bad day…The look I get in return tells me that my answer has solidified their hunch… I play computer solitaire and google myself all day.
So what does ehow say the SBC pastor does all day… Maybe I’ll finally get a grip on what I’m supposed to be doing.
- Prayer and Devotion – Check
- Hospital and Home Visits – Check
- Sermon Preparation – Check
- Staff and Committee Meetings – Check
- Call Visitors and Absentees – Check
- Counseling Sessions – Check
- Personal Study Time – Check
- Family Time – Check
Then there’s the Bible…
2) So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. 3) Brothers, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them 4) and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.” 5) This proposal pleased the whole group. Acts 6:2-5
So… Let me ask you… What’s missing from the list? What’s on the list that shouldn’t be there?